Joe Sango's Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

VSTS Extended

I got an email from John Lawrence today regarding Team Foundation extensibility. The WIT team are releasing an article fairly soon that covers creating custom Work Item Types. Watch this space.
In the mean time, I have been looking at the extensibility kit to create custom work item types with the four command-line tools (WIT import/export) but I have not had any luck getting that working to any great degree. I was then pointed (thanks John!) to Dave McKinstry's post on the customisation process in VSTS projects and started looking at Process Template Customisation. This covers six main parts via plugins:
  1. Classification Structure Service (Css)
    Defines a team project's initial iterations, organization units, components, or feature areas.
  2. Group Security Service (gss)
    Defines a team project's initial security groups and their permissions.
  3. Windows SharePoint Services (wss)
    Defines the project portal for the team based on a SharePoint site template. Also defines template files and process guidance.
  4. Currituck
    Defines a team project's initial work item types, queries, and work item instances.
  5. Rosetta
    Defines a team project's initial reports.
  6. Source Code Control (scc)
    Defines a team project's initial source code control security permissions, and check in notes.
The documentation in the kit goes into further detail so check it out if your interested. I am still going through the MSF Agile template xml that I extracted via VS and it is giving me a good insight into key concepts and architecture of process templates in VSTS. I recommend anyone interested in VSTS customisation to have a browse of this.
That said, I can't wait for the upcoming article guys!! :)

7 Comments:

  • Hey Joey, great article, keep up the awesome work :D

    By Anonymous David Lemphers, at 10:31 PM  

  • Nice post. Thanks.
    Hey, do you know how to get a handle to the Project Portal programmatically? So that I can add a link or some text to the home page? Post ur reply here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

  • Where are you looking to add content to the wss site from other than the site itself? Like an external .net client app or something? I just want to clarify your question contextually.

    JS.

    By Blogger Joe Sango, at 12:39 AM  

  • Yeah... I am developing a plugin/addin kind of thing that will integrate with Visual Studio. So, from this external .NET client application, I should be able to modify the project portal home page. My idea is to put a link programmatically on the portal, which will point to the features of the application I developed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

  • I would think you would need to use the WSS object model. I am not really a Sharepoint/wss expert but there is a heap of stuff on the web that might point you in the right direction. Have a look at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/07/WindowsSharePointServices/

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/08/WebParts/

    http://www.u2u.info/SharePoint/default.aspx

    Hope this helps.

    JS.

    By Blogger Joe Sango, at 3:52 PM  

  • Yeah... you are right...
    Thanks a lot. I got the same reply from Microsoft guys too...
    Sameer C T

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

  • No probs Sameer. Good luck with it all! :)

    By Blogger Joe Sango, at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home